Fighting anxiety #MindBattle Day 1

18:41

I told myself that I was going to start doing this from the first of December. It is the second already and the time is 16:38. I don't know if I'll publish this today but here goes nothing.

The Problem

Recently I noticed that I have a bit of a problem. Maybe not just a bit but the thing is that there's a problem somewhere. I used to pride myself as one who wouldn't get anxious years ago. In recent days, anxiety seems to have gotten a hold of me. My mind is always running in circles, leaving me exhausted even after doing practically nothing all day.
This is my first problem. I let overthinking fill my mind; pondering on the minute things and not exactly giving much thought to the more important things. One would think that since I have made a habit of overthinking that I would think a lot about my life, make plans for even my day but that's not so. I decide to drink daily from the cup of 'I cannot come and go and kill myself'.

It started off as a way to curb my anxious thoughts but slowly it has turned into a medium for.. what's the word, not being preoccupied? avoiding life? I don't remember but I hope you get me. So, the moments when my mind can be silent, I fill them with random emptiness, moments of; funny videos, Netflix series, endless scrolling through the highlights of others and then starting to feel sorry for myself.

My second problem is that when I eventually give room for my thoughts, I think the least of myself. There's a bully in my head. The bully is me. I never think that I'm good enough or reaching enough or that I'm reaching anyone. I rarely think that I am on the right track at the least or that I'm making progress.
My mind often amplifies the mistakes that I make and never believes in the moves that I'll make. I always have a smile on my face when my friends tell me how good I am but I rarely ever believe them. Maybe it's a way of protecting my heart. From what? I do not know.



The Solution?

The other day, I was reading my Bible and I just paused at Philippians 4:8: '..whatsoever things are true... think on these things.'

I've given myself a lot to thoughts that are untrue about myself and now, I want to be a lot more intentional about my thoughts. They say that the way you think affects how you live and I think that my thoughts are influencing me in a lot of ways because there's barely any vim in my life. I've carved small corners where I can hide under the guise of resting.

So, I'm taking every wrong thought captive when they pop up and replacing them with the truth. I am choosing not to let anxiety overwhelm me and not letting the silence scare me.
I'll document this journey here with the #MindBattle. I was going to call it 'Reclaiming my mind' but that's too long, I guess.

There'll be a new post every day by 8pm GMT+2 for December (that's 8pm Ukrainian time, 7pm Nigerian time). Let's see how this goes.

There's a battle in my mind. It's full of anxiety and untrue thoughts. This is a documentary on how I win.
I'm trying to figure a sign-out phrase but nothing is coming to my head, oh well...

You Might Also Like

5 comments

  1. God knows I'm so excited about this journey! Following all the way, learning every day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. .....and I'll watch and follow faithfully through this, it's end I know is peace, "the end of the righteous man is peace". God's Word is truth, I'm certain He is your guide through this.
    So, I'm super excited for you.
    Thanks for bolding up, and sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice one, see you tomorrow evening...💯

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading. I love hearing your feedback. Questions, suggestions, send me a mail gift.kaydo@gmail.com