How to declutter your mind

11:33


Hello friend. It's been a minute, I hope you've been well. I wonder why I'm writing this like it's a letter.
I've been going through a phase (😂 I'm always going through a phase). Well, before I tell you what has been going on with me, let me give you a back story.

When I started being intentional about my walk with God, my heart learnt to listen for His voice. It was like He was always speaking. Every day brought a new encounter, a new adventure, a new instruction. His voice was always loud in prayer. It didn't take me long to learn that prayer is a communication with God.

Well, recently, it just hit me that I hadn't been hearing Abba's voice as often as I used to. In fact, it almost seemed like He wasn't speaking.  So one day, I was in bed and I said "Daddy, I don't hear you so much anymore. Why aren't you speaking to me?" And so swiftly He replied, "It's not like I am not speaking, your mind is just noisy"

Shots fired!!!! Haaa!! God, are you trying to say that 'it's me not you?
Whew! See eh, I was taken aback a bit by that response but I didn't hesitate to realize that it was indeed true.

I'm not sure if the concept of a noisy mind is clear to you so I'll explain a bit.
My mind is said to be noisy when it is in fact, noisy. Cares and worries flood my mind. There are several thoughts on my mind once I am awake. Most of all, my mind is fixed on the least important things for the most part and there's really no space left for the major things to bloom.



Since I've started exposing myself on the street, I might as well continue. Let me tell you what has been making my mind noisy. Guy! It's not what you're thinking, nothing major happened to me. I'm so shy about saying this but it's my phone and movies. I know, I know, at my age, it's phone that's occupying my mind.
I was trying before, in fact, I had broken the cycle and I wouldn't check my phone when I woke up till I had finished my devotion and was ready to face my day but dears, this phone has tied me down.

You know what, I'll write a whole blog post on my phone addiction and how I'm dealing with it but for now, let's go back to my noisy mind. I had time to think and meditate on everything but God. I even gave time to thinking about service and ministry but there wasn't any stillness and focus on Abba.

How am I decluttering my mind?

  • Spend your time right; pray and study. The things I spend my time doing create a great influence on what my mind is fixed on. I cannot want to hear Papa's voice clearly and then not spend time with Him. I mean, it makes sense to recognise my dad's voice since I grew up hearing it, how much more Papa. This is how I learn His voice, by reading His word; His voice is clearest there. 
  • Pick your thoughts right; meditate on the word. As much as it seems like thinking is such a passive action, the passiveness of your thoughts are a cumulative effects of the things that you've done actively. (I know, even I am confused). My point is that if I want the word of God to be in my default thoughts, I have to actively train my mind to think in line with it.
  • Feed your mind right; music and sermons. I can't be feeding on trash and expecting to grow healthy. I cannot be watching just series and expect to hear the voice of God in the midst of things. My dear, you will hear the voice of Mr Bean (pun intended). I intentionally listen to sermons and Christian music. Music plays an important role in leading your thoughts. Just try it, take a fast on secular music for a while and listen to just gospel songs; that thing does something to you.

SPF is the key guys.😂

It may not be that God is silent, your heart may just be fixed on so many other things that you don't hear His voice.
It may not be that He isn't speaking, you may just have dulled your heart, noised your mind that you don't hear His voice.
It may not be that God is silent, you just have gotten too caught up in your world that you forgot to read His word.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Thanks for reading. I love hearing your feedback. Questions, suggestions, send me a mail gift.kaydo@gmail.com