They Kissed

16:52

It wasn't one of those hot, passionate kisses, yet it managed to stir up some sort of reaction from within me.


It was one of those days on my way back my humble abode of the hostel. Taking a bus seems to be in thing these days. Anyways, it was one of the bus stops and there was these two guys, they looked like they were over 50. One of them was to enter the bus and there was some sort of conversation between them and then they kissed.
I should rather say he kissed him on the cheek.

And I was like..



It was probably not a kiss sha, maybe just one of those cheek touching cheek thingy but it made me cringe. 
Kisses are a normal thing among Ukrainians. It's a part of their greeting. They share a variety kisses everywhere from light pecks to the extreme.
Growing up as a conservative Nigerian, kisses are a no, no. We hustle to see the first kiss in wedding ceremonies. 

kiss, kiss, kiss, kiss!

So, here I am watching two people kiss, not just any two people, two men sharing kiss in public. Ha!

The over-analyzser in me began to analyse their lives and draw unnecessary conclusions. The guy was probably just kissing his friend goodbye. Who knows, it may even be his son.

Our traditions differ, we see things differently. The things I make a huge deal out of are just the norm to them.
One of the lessons I have had to learn by force living here is that, you can't force your traditions on anyone else. You can't judge them by your set of rules; it isn't fair.

Is it possible that you're judging someone just from the standpoint of your traditions and not necessarily based on what is right or not?


-Kaydo

You Might Also Like

4 comments

  1. Lol, Gift this is quite funny, but yeah sometimes we Judge based on our own values, cultures, tradition, etc and to be a Nigerian again, this "judgemental" behaviour is heightened because of our nature here. Personally, I think we should leave some of these things be, especially if we are in a different setting from our own. This was a good read.

    www.portableisthenewhot.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually cringed too but it's in Ukraine right lol. Definitely a culture shock for you too. As humans, we tend to discriminate and judge on impulse before the Christ in us tells us we shouldn't.
    Laitanbee Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true. Being sensitive to the Christ in us where we often have issues.
      Thanks for reading.

      Delete

Thanks for reading. I love hearing your feedback. Questions, suggestions, send me a mail gift.kaydo@gmail.com