SHINY OBJECT SYNDROME

20:48

The concept I had in my head was 'shiny thing syndrome'. I go on Google to check it out and 'shiny object syndrome' is a real thing.

WHAT IS IT?
It is a short-lived attraction to 'shiny things'. Just think about kids and how they quickly move one from one toy to the next shiny, louder toy.
Some years ago, I wrote a blog post on "FINISHATIVE" and the goal was to enforce the idea that it wasn't good enough to just start something, one has to see it to the end. 

To an extent, I think I have a degree of shiny object syndrome. Here's what it looks like, I think of an idea, I have a surge of energy to pursue it but after the initial stage, I'm worn out, uninterested and running after the next shiny idea. 
Basically, I want things, just as long as they're new and shiny.


Life can be a journey of finding oneself, discovering the things, the people, the courses that you're actually interested in.
As much as this is a syndrome that's highly associated with entrepreneurs, it's common and has different expressions.

For some, they can't stay committed to one partner, once someone new comes into their vicinity, they're after them. For some others, they start writing an article, midway, they get new ideas, they abandon the current work and at the end, there's a folder of uncompleted writings. (Yes, I'm shading myself)

SOLUTION:
There'll always be new things around, new people will appear but discipline and self-control are essential in being successful at anything.
The time will come when you no longer have the 'vim' you had at the beginning of the project. That isn't the time to quit, it's the time to be disciplined and consistent.

Ideas are all around, everyone sees them but the smart ones use their initiative to work on them. It takes a step further into wisdom to not just start something but to work on it to the end.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Thanks for reading. I love hearing your feedback. Questions, suggestions, send me a mail gift.kaydo@gmail.com