Masked up?

16:51


So its almost Halloween. Although I don't know so much about the Halloween celebrations, the how, the why, one thing I know is that it involves masks. Usually your costume isn't complete without the mask. As I observed this, it struck me that so many people wear masks as a part of their daily routine. I'm not referring to the surgeon's mask or the mask worn by the engineer, but to that smile you wear everyday, that smile you pick up from the bedside table, the one you can't wait to drop as soon as you get home. I'm talking about that sweet girl that everybody likes and that cool guy that everyone wants to hang out with.

Its possible that we don't like the way we look or sound. Its possible that we do not like our personality. Or maybe the thing is that, the people around us don't like us, the way we talk, walk, the kind of things we like, etc.
 In such conditions, it is easier to 'mask up', it is easier to pretend to be who we are not. You know its a whole lot easier to dress up the person everyone doesn't like with a very likable character.  Too many people are acting up. Too many people have picked up characters that were created out of someone else's imagination just because they wanted to be received and accepted by a certain group.

A couple of years back, when I was in high school, I never really liked myself. I was the youngest, least experienced on most of things, I didn't have the most attractive face or body, I really didn't have 'friends' and all too often I found myself in the place where I constantly lived in pretense. I made up a girl that everybody liked, ummmm I'll rather say, that everybody 'seemingly' liked because I'm not so sure if they like her for real. Funny enough, I had to keep adjusting my cover because it always seemed like my cover was going to be blown at any moment.

The thing with having a mask on is that you are never comfortable, you don't ever express yourself. You never get to reach your full potentials when you're masked up.
I want you to know today, that you don't have to wear masks, you don't have to pretend. Honestly, its a whole lot better to deal with the issue than to pretend its not there. If people don't like you for who you are, if they don't appreciate your individuality, you don't have wear someone else's mask. Stay where your value is appreciated. BUT when you need to change your attitude and be better, don't hesitate to improve.

 

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Thanks for reading. I love hearing your feedback. Questions, suggestions, send me a mail gift.kaydo@gmail.com